A couple of weeks ago, well right around the last time I got off my butt and actually posted something, I got a like from another blogger. This happens so infrequently, and I’m so immensely excited when anyone likes my blog posts, that I immediately headed to her blog to see what TK writes about. Her blog is here, btw (http://chaptertk.com/) and it’s much better formatted than mine. Honestly, though, I’m a programmer, not a designer, so cut me some slack.
When I checked out her blog, it took me directly to this post, an interesting look at feminism from a geekier perspective than I’m used to seeing. Usually when you hear about sexism it doesn’t pop up in comic book conventions or other geeky pursuits. And, yes, I consider myself a geek. I read comics, I program computers, I play video games. I’m actually something of a Renaissance Geek. I was a geek before it was cool to be a geek and spent many happy evenings with my fellow friends playing D&D or Traveller back in my high school days. So, I know from whence I speak.
Anyway, one of the things about geeky culture is that women have traditionally not been a part of it, but in my day we were certainly open to it. Jesus, how old am I? I just used “back in my day,” in an un-ironic sense.
In a way, after I read TK’s post, I kind thought to myself, “Man, that’s fucked up. Why are people like that?” and moved on. But what she wrote kind of pinged around in my head and I was reading reviews on Hack Slash on Amazon when I came across this gem from a mouth breather who shall remain anonymous. At least here.
“Like I reviewed in Red Sonja, females in comics must be relegated only to roles of sex objects and victims. It is so lame to attempt to make them super at all. What a waste of money. Anybody want my copy for free? I need to make room for dust on my shelf.”
I’m hoping this was just a troll attempt.
So, that brought that post back to the forefront of my mind and I spent some time trying to figure out what it was that stuck in me. Still not entirely certain, but something hit me, so, TK, congrats, you spoke to someone.
Anyway, after looking at the post I made about Men’s magazine covers a lot of people probably consider me a misogynist dinosaur, but I would have to disagree with that. I actually consider myself something of a feminist, especially if you consider feminism from the classical perspective that says women are people, too.
Geeks of the world and, indeed, people of the world need to get over this idea that 51% of the human population is less important or less capable than the other 49%. It just doesn’t make any sense and there’s absolutely no reason to keeping thinking women are inferior to men in any sense. I’ve met women who are better programmers than I am. I’ve met women who are worse programmers than I am. I’ve met women who are better fighters than I am (and I’m no slouch myself). I’ve met women who are worse fighters than I am. I’ve met women who are smarter than me. I’ve met women who are dumber than me.
See where this is going?
There’s an old saying that goes something to the effect of “If you go looking for something, you’ll find a way to find it.” Go looking for the idea that women aren’t as good or smart or worthy and you’ll manage to find a way to prove it to yourself. It will probably be a fallacious argument, but if it’s truthy enough, you’ll believe it.
Sure, women are somewhat different than men, and, frankly vive la différence, but the differences are less important than the similarities. So, can we knock this crap off and start treating people as equals? Especially in our own little geeky microcosm?
Now, I know something like two people are going to read this, but oh, well, I felt I had to say it.