Sometime mid last year I got it into my head that I needed to build a cyclocross bike. We were at a friend’s wedding and got a short tour of the bikes Johnny had built over the years, one of which was a cylcocross bike. I’m not sure what it was about it, but I decided I needed to try my hand at building one.
Now, I’m far too old to take up competitive cyclocross (for those who don’t know, think of it as a cross between road biking and mountain biking), but the idea of bombing along fire roads on what amounts to a hopped road bike appealed to me. Besides, I’ve tinkered with bikes for years but never built one up from scratch.
So when my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas in 2015 I immediately pointed her to a Nashbar aluminum cyclocross frame. Christmas morning I got up to a giant box with a feather-light frame in it and soon set about figuring out how to put it all together. Fortunately, I had some help in the form of a couple avid cycling friends who pointed me in the right direction and answered some of my incredibly stupid questions (Are 29er wheels the same size as 700c? What’s the difference between a regular crankset and compact crankset? On and on and on).
From January til now, I’ve been finding parts all over the Internet and slowly assembling my first ‘cross bike.
Total costs (minus the frame. It was a gift, but they go for about $150)
- Stem: FSA OS-140 Carbon. Found on eBay for 15.99
- Headset: FSA Orbit MX. Found on eBay for 34.99
- Seatpost: Oval Concepts. Found on eBay for 13.70
- Headset spacers: 10mm FSA carbon. Found on eBay for 3.24
- Crankset and Bottom Bracket: FSA Gossamer. Found on eBay for 50.00
- Bars: FSA Energy Ergo, found on eBay for 19.99
- Fork: Ellsworth aluminum. Found on eBay for 69.99
- Bar tape: Deda. Found on eBay for 8.45 shipped
- Saddle: WTB Laser V, found on PricePoint for 22.98
- Seatpost Clamp: Azonic. Found on PricePoint for 6.98
- Tires: Schawlbe CX Comp HS 369. Found on Amazon for 19.98 each.
- Wheelset: Shimano RM35 Mavic TN317. Found on eBay for 130.96
- Brake/Shift Levers: SRAM Apex. Found on eBay for 139.00
- Brake Calipers: Avid BB-5R, found on Amazon for 78.00 for the pair
- Brake Rotors: Rear, Shimano Deore SM-RT62 (160mm), eBay 12.99. Front, Shimano SM-RT54 (180mm). eBay 16.39
- Front Derailleur: SRAM X7, eBay 15.00
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM X7, eBay 35.00
- Pedals: Shimano (pulled from old bike)
- Chain: SRAM PC-1031, eBay 17.60
- Cassette: SRAM PG-1030, eBay 43.94
- Headset installation: 10.00
- Brake adapters: 9.95 on PricePoint
- Rim Tape 6.00 on PricePoint
- Tubes 6.00 PricePoint
- Extra 20mm M6 bolts 10.00 on eBay
- Cable kit, bottle, cage, seat pack: 32.00 on PricePoint
Total Cost (minus frame): 829.17
It weighs in at slightly over 25 lbs.