As regular readers know, it’s the last Friday of the month and that means it’s time for your monthly shot of news that doesn’t suck. I have to admit, I had to struggle to find this one, but it does have a nice feel-good vibe to it.
If you’ve been paying attention to US politics over the past 241 years, you’ll notice there’s a trend for demonizing the opposition and appealing to the lowest common denominator rather than doing the right thing. Party above country is the mantra of most of our politicians. Whether or not this philosophy has gotten worse in the past couple decades is up for some debate, but there is a general trend toward toward not being complete dicks to the opposition that’s been happening over the past month or so.
Stories like Jeff Flake (R) defending his opponent Deedra Abboud (D) against online jackasses are rare, but very much worthy of note. It would seem Abboud’s faith (she’s Muslim) prompted a group of our famous mouth-breathing knuckle-draggers to attack her based solely on her religious beliefs. As if such things have any bearing whatsoever in governance. Flake, the Republican incumbent, actually took the time to be a human being and defend her.
Truly a rare thing. Hopefully more politicians will start treating each other better and, as a result, the rest of us might actually be able to have a political conversation without resorting to calling each other Nazis and libtards.
Good job, Senator Flake. And good luck Ms. Abboud.
If you’d like to join up with We Are The World Blogfest, I have good news for you: it’s free. Go check it out here.
1. Keep your post to below 500 words, as much as possible.
2. All we ask is you link to a human news story on your blog on the last Friday of each month, one that shows love, humanity and brotherhood.
3. Join us on the last Friday of each month in sharing news that warms the cockles of our heart. No story is too big or small, as long as it goes beyond religion and politics, into the core of humanity.
4. Place the WE ARE THE WORLD Badge on your sidebar, and help us spread the word on social media. Tweets, Facebook shares, G+ shares using the #WATWB hashtag through the month most welcome. More Blogfest signups mean more friends, love and light for all of us.
5. We’ll read and comment on each others’ posts, get to know each other better, and hopefully, make or renew some friendships with everyone who signs on as participants in the coming months.
6. To signup, add your link in WE ARE THE WORLD Linky List below.
This is a Blog Hop!
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…