It’s the last Friday of the month and y’all know what that means: another installment of News That Doesn’t Suck. And I gotta tell ya, these are getting harder and harder to dredge up in a month that gave us the violence in Charlottesville, White Nationalists running amok, and our President tip-toeing around the issue until it became so big that it just had to be dealt with in way that required many, many, very, very, very mediocre words.
Of course, this is the same guy that Tweeted that Transgendered people wouldn’t be allowed in the military anymore.
Which leads us to this month’s installment of News That Doesn’t suck. THe Indian Supreme, it would seem, has passed a ruling that everyone has an intrinsic right to privacy. The ruling was originally intended to hit Aadhaar cards right in the jimmies, but it has far-reaching implication even beyond India’s biometric ID system.
Since privacy in India is now considered a fundamental right, that means the government will have a much harder time finding out information that it really shouldn’t have a right to get hold of anyway. Information like sexual orientation, for instance, should be something that is protected at the individual level not something that should be part of the government’s bailiwick.
Now, I’m not Indian, I’ve never been to India, so my understanding of the intricacies and ramifications of Aadhaar cards leaves a lot to be desired. But, I can always appreciate when a government admits its citizenry has rights that cannot be taken away or taken advantage of.
And that is always a very good thing.
As always, comments are much appreciated, especially from my Indian friends who will have a much better understanding of the situation than I do.
If you’d like to get hold of more news that doesn’t suck, go check out this month’s hosts:
If you’d like to join up with We Are The World Blogfest, I have good news for you: it’s free. Go check it out here.
1. Keep your post to below 500 words, as much as possible.
2. All we ask is you link to a human news story on your blog on the last Friday of each month, one that shows love, humanity and brotherhood.
3. Join us on the last Friday of each month in sharing news that warms the cockles of our heart. No story is too big or small, as long as it goes beyond religion and politics, into the core of humanity.
4. Place the WE ARE THE WORLD Badge on your sidebar, and help us spread the word on social media. Tweets, Facebook shares, G+ shares using the #WATWB hashtag through the month most welcome. More Blogfest signups mean more friends, love and light for all of us.
5. We’ll read and comment on each others’ posts, get to know each other better, and hopefully, make or renew some friendships with everyone who signs on as participants in the coming months.
6. To signup, add your link in WE ARE THE WORLD Linky List below.
This is a Blog Hop!
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…
And now, your moment of Zen…