I just realized I managed to post absolutely nothing during the month of September. This isn’t because I hate September – I’m actually ambivalent about it – it’s because I’m lazy and didn’t really have anything interesting to say. Also, I figured I had more time. In my mind, it’s still mid-September, not almost October. Some would call that being behind the times, but I prefer to think of it as being fashionably late.
Then, of course, I get that monthly reminder from WATWB High Command, reminding me that there are things in the world that aren’t me and I have to suddenly fast-forward myself to the present day. Anyway, I’d apologize for missing the entire month of September, but let’s face it, this ain’t exactly the most hip-hop-happening blog in the world.
So, in the midst of all the wacky hijinks going on in the world these days, it’s good to see there’s still some stories out there that don’t suck or make you want to carve your brain out with an ice cream scoop.
I’ve always been a proponent of equality. In my eyes, either everyone is equal or everything we’ve built our societies on is a lie. Inequality of any kind chips away at the structure of society and the next thing we know, we’ve got tyrants running all over the land pointing at people and saying, “You know what, all those problems you have? It’s because of those guys over there.” Doubt me? Ask history about all the times equality has broken down and holocausts have happened.
That’s why, every time I see someone treat women as second-class citizens (this post was almost about FGM) or refuse to bake cakes for gay people and hide their bigotry behind religious freedom, I shudder a little. I’m not saying it’s a slippery slope to Nazi 2 – The Electric Boogaloo, but it ain’t exactly helping things, either.
It’s nice to see that not everyone is a bigoted fuckwad, though. For instance, there’s a church in Scarborough that has a digital sign out that’s controlled by a company that refused to post a gay-friendly message. St. Paul’ United Church terminated their contract over the fiasco. Another church in the area has also terminated their contract with the mobile sign provider after the sign provider refused to post a message that basically said “Be cool to your Muslim neighbors”.
Bad press and losing customers has got to sting.
So, it’s beginning to look like the best way to handle bigoted assholes is to stop giving them money. Don’t order the cake, don’t pay for the sign messages, and don’t give them your vote.
Check out the original article here.
If you’d like to connect your blog and help spread a little joy (or snark, like I do), it’s easy to sign up. Just ask and ye shall receive. Or go check it out here: here.
1. Keep your post to below 500 words, as much as possible.
2. All we ask is you link to a human news story on your blog on the last Friday of each month, one that shows love, humanity and brotherhood.
3. Join us on the last Friday of each month in sharing news that warms the cockles of our heart. No story is too big or small, as long as it goes beyond religion and politics, into the core of humanity.
4. Place the WE ARE THE WORLD Badge on your sidebar, and help us spread the word on social media. Tweets, Facebook shares, G+ shares using the #WATWB hashtag through the month most welcome. More Blogfest signups mean more friends, love and light for all of us.
5. We’ll read and comment on each others’ posts, get to know each other better, and hopefully, make or renew some friendships with everyone who signs on as participants in the coming months.
6. To signup, add your link in WE ARE THE WORLD Linky List below.
This is a Blog Hop!
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…
And now, your moment of Zen.