I feel like I should probably clarify something. I periodically get requests to review a book and, while I’m flattered, I usually don’t wind up reviewing that book. This isn’t meant to say I’m not interested in the requests I get, I’m just not primarily a book review blog. I’m not sure if I could say exactly what kind of blog I’m running here, but it’s definitely not intended to be a book review blog. There are people who much better at that than me. Go to the pros; they’ve got a bigger following, anyway.
You see, as soon as I published my first book and found just how damned difficult it is to get reviews, I decided to start reviewing everything I read (even that CISSP book that I’m still stumbling through). Over time I’ve managed to review quite a few things, but it’s usually stuff I find on my own. I know I usually give glowing reviews, but that’s just how I am. If I come across something I don’t like, it doesn’t get reviewed. I’d rather praise something than bring someone down.
At any rate, if you’ve got something you want me to review, you can drop me a line, but be warned I may or may not get back to you. I’m not trying to be a jerk or anything, I just don’t have a huge amount of free time. Even if I agree to review something, it may or may not get posted; like I said, I don’t leave negative reviews.
All that said, reviews don’t have to be intricate. If you’re struggling with writing a review for something on Amazon or wherever, go simple. As an author, all I really need to see is “I liked it.” If there’s a problem or you don’t like something, that’s all good, too.
Here’s some clip ‘n’ save pre-built reviews for your perusing pleasure.
- I liked it.
- I stayed up all night pondering the philosophical ramifications.
- This book was so bad I think it gave me cancer.
- A most enjoyable read about <insert subject here>.
- While I cannot rid the world of this piece of effluvia, I am now making it my goal in life to make sure no one else ever suffers the crippling side-effects of reading it.
- After reading this book I feel like colors are brighter and birds are singing only to me. It was that good!
- Life is now dull and meaningless, a trite exercise in the mechanics day-to-day existence. It was that good, and that’s a bad thing.
Anyway, keep writing. If you’ve got something you think I might like, drop me a line. I can’t promise I’ll read it or even review it, but you never know. It never hurts to ask. I don’t have much in the way of a review policy, so I can’t point you to that, but I do enjoy lots of different genres.
And now, your moment of Zen.